Reflective Journal- week 14

1. What did you actually learned from the unit. This week I learned about the different categories of risk management: financial, operational/clinical, human capital, legal/regulatory, technology, and natural disaster/hazard. Previously, when I thought about risk management, I really only thought about risks related to harm to the patient related to hospital or staff mistakes, but now I see that there is much much more involved. I also learned that most risks are not due to a mistake by staff. In fact, even things that do seem to be mistakes are usually seen more as a problem with protocol, processes, or training. I also learned about the I’m Sorry legislation. I think this is a great legislation that allows nurses to apologize, and basically sympathize and try to make a patient feel better, without that meaning that they are taking full responsibility that can then be held against them. 

2. Discuss your feelings/experiences from the team activities? Did it change your opinion on the subject? If so, how? If not, why? When I answered the questions for the team discussion, I focused more on how my team would have been affected by this incident and how to help them through it. I also focused on what led up to this event and what measures to take to prevent future incidences like this. I did not necessarily focus on the documentation that should be done, even though I know that this is an important aspect. My team members however, thought of this important piece right away. This really made me realize how you can be easily distracted during intense moments and forget important things, such as proper documentation. This also made me think about how important it is to have a team and work together well with your team. If you have a strong team who works well together, then things are less likely to be forgotten. Not only did I learn more about how to handle situations related to risk management from this weeks team discussion, but I also learned more about the importance of strong team work.

3. How you will utilize the information learned in your nursing practice. I think the lecture this week opened my eyes to all the different risks related to healthcare, and the potential harm and damage related. Having learned a little about this, I think that I will begin to start analyzing things a little more as a nurse. First of all, I will be more cautious as a nurse, knowing that you can never be to careful when you have someones physical health in your hands. Next, I will think more about other risks that relate to me, such as what I would do and how I would handle a natural disaster. Or the risks involved in financial costs of supplies or of staffing. I’m seeing that other areas of nurse leadership, such as budgeting, relate to risk management. As I learn more about these different areas of nurse leadership, I believe I will be better able to manage the associated risks.

4. Your personal feelings about the material covered. I believe that risk management is very important. The safety of our patients, and well-being of staff are of utmost importance. I love that part of risk management is to track events so that correlations can be made to help identify why exactly different incidents happen. I love that incident/event reports are not discoverable. I think this helps nurses and staff feel comfortable being able to report events. And it is so important to do so in order to make hospitals safer and incidents less likely. I don’t particularly like this topic though. It makes me very uncomfortable and nervous. I hate the idea that I could possible make a mistake some day and then be taken to court for it. I know that human error can not be completely removed, and I do my best to be very cautious, but the fear is still there. Nonetheless, I do believe this is a very important topic for all nurses to learn about, especially nurse leaders and managers.