Reflective Journal- week 13

1. What did you actually learned from the unit. From this unit, I learned all sorts of different ideas for how to motivate people. And I learned that different people are motivated by different things, so it is important to use varying motivators in order to reach different people. The readings for this week gave a lot of great ideas for motivating and boosting morale. One thing that I hadn’t really thought about, but that is important, is to have some things that are done just for fun. Some things don’t necessarily have to be tied to performance, or hitting goals, some things can be done simply to have fun (like holiday parties, or doing brackets for march madness) to make the work place somewhere that employees want to be.

2. Discuss your feelings/experiences from the team activities? Did it change your opinion on the subject? If so, how? If not, why? This week for team activities we just had our discussion. I enjoyed working as a team to come up with a plan to motivate and boost morale for our employees. I liked hearing everyone else’s idea, and it definitely got me thinking. It did change my opinion, in that after hearing some of my teammates ideas, I felt that some ideas would be more effective than others. In the end, I think we came up with a pretty sweet plan to implement to boost morale and motivation in the work place.

3. How you will utilize the information learned in your nursing practice. Most of the things I learned this week will become valuable when I am in a leadership/management position as a nurse. However, I do think that some of it will come in handy immediately. After reading and hearing about ways that managers can motivate staff by recognizing them individually and on personal levels (like by writing personalized notes on birthday, anniversaries, when loved ones are sick, or during other important life events) I realized that I can start doing that now with people on my team, simply to build unity and strengthen my team. I think that motivation doesn’t, and shouldn’t, only come from management. But, we as a team, can motivate and lift each other. This will take it to a whole other level and will create a much more united work atmosphere. I can start joining committees now that help with different morale booster/motivation projects. For example, I can join the holiday party planning committee, or I can sign up to help create and update the “WOW” board. Each of these efforts to create a positive and motivated work environment require man power to plan and implement. I can get involved now, even as a floor nurse, to help implement these types of things in my hospital.

4. Your personal feelings about the material covered. I thought this week was awesome. Partly, because I like the topic of motivation- who doesn’t like thinking about how to make work more fun? And partly, because after our double load of assignments last week, it was nice to have a week with a smaller work load! In all seriousness though, it was really good for me to learn about different ways to motivate people. Every one is different, and people really are motivated by different things. I don’t feel like I am motivated by many things that other people are motivated by. I don’t care much for prizes or competitions, or even money. But, I see that a lot of my coworkers are motivated by these things. Studying this topic this week helped open my eyes to different types of motivators, that I probably wouldn’t think of on my own, because they may not be the types of things that motivate me personally. However, as a nurse leader, it will be super important for me to understand different ways that people are motivated, in order to be successful in motivating my team.