Reflective Journal- week 12

1. What did you actually learned from the unit. This week I think I learned some pretty valuable conflict management techniques. I found the assigned readings to be very useful. I learned about different forms of communication, including assertive communication and non-verbal communication. I learned that, although conflict can be difficult and sometimes damaging, it can also lead to really positive things. When handled and managed appropriately, conflict can lead to greater understanding, greater success, increased confidence, and better team-work. The key is knowing how to manage conflict successfully. I also learned that the Guardian is a great movie :).

2. Discuss your feelings/experiences from the team activities? Did it change your opinion on the subject? If so, how? If not, why? I found the discussion very useful and interesting this week. I especially liked doing the Collective Bargaining activity and then sharing our results with each other. I think I learned quite a bit from this. It was cool to see other people’s results to the activity, and how different the outcomes could be. It definitely made me think about negotiating salaries and benefits in a new way. I don’t know that my opinions were necessary changed, but my perspectives and knowledge was broadened. 

3. How you will utilize the information learned in your nursing practice. I think that conflict resolution tools and effective communication skills will be EXTREMELY valuable as a nurse leader and manager. I am sure that managers often have to mitigate conflict, and the information I learned this week about listening to all sides, getting to the root of the problem, separating people from problems, allowing both sides to work together to find a solution to the problem, and compromising will come come in very handy as I try to help employees have positive interactions and work together as a team. I also think effective communication as a leader will help me to convey my thoughts clearly so that my team can more easily understand what needs to be done and how to do it. I will also use effective listening as a leader to help my team know that I care what they have to say and that they are important to me and to our team.

4. You personal feelings about the material covered. I enjoyed the topic this week. I think that conflict management and effective communication techniques are extremely valuable in all aspects of our lives. I feel that learning these skills can help you to be more successful, have better relationships, and achieve your goals. I know that this information is also very important for nurse leaders to know, because I can see in my own managers and leaders that their abilities to manage conflict and effectively communicate greatly affects how our team works together and how well our unit functions.