Reflective Journal- week 11

1. What did you actually learned from the unit. Oh wow, this unit was tough. Strategic planning takes a lot of work! I definitely learned a lot as a went through the module. I learned that having a mission and a vision is key to successful strategic planning. All plans trickle down from that initial mission and vision. I learned that if you want to be successful, you must plan! However, you must make plans that can adapt and change, because you can’t foresee the future and when you make a 5 year plan, that plan will most likely have to be updated before you hit the 5 year mark. This doesn’t mean, however, that you should just choose to not plan instead. You still need to plan, you just need to plan flexibly. 

2. Discuss your feelings/experiences from the team activities? Did it change your opinion on the subject? If so, how? If not, why? I thought the Strategic Planning activity was interesting. The scenario was kinda fun, and being able to think about how to expand an organization with unlimited funds was pretty cool. However, it was a little hard to make a plan when you only have some of the information about the scenario. In real life, you would learn SO much more about the needs of the community, and your competitors plans, and so many other things, before you would make plans to start massively expanding. So, that was hard for me. But I was amazed as I worked with my group, to see how everyone else approached the scenario. I learned a TON simply by hearing the ideas and plan of my teammates. As for the discussion this week, I really liked it. I thought it was fun to think of ideas for an MSN focus for UVU. I liked hearing everyone else’s ideas and coming to a consensus. Although I have no plan or desire to get a master’s degree (HAHA!), talking about programs with my team did make me think about how cool that would be to continue on to higher levels of nurse education. I do think the need and interest is out there.

3. How you will utilize the information learned in your nursing practice. In my current position, I intend to learn and re-memorize my facilities vision and mission, and do a self-evaluation to see how my personal practice aligns with their vision and mission. I want to make sure that I am contributing and focusing on the right things, to help my hospital achieve it’s goals. As for the future, if and when I am ever in a position to help with strategic planning, I think I will be better prepared for that after having this week’s module. I will remember to start with a vision and mission. I will remember to stay focused on those goals. I will remember to be flexible in planning. And, I will remember make sure the plan is distributed out to all people involved in implementing the plan so that everyone is on the same page and working together.

4. You personal feelings about the material covered. Strategic planning was hard for me. Thinking of ways to grow a company, or position a university to be most successful, did not come naturally for me. I am one who would rather be told what the plan is, and then I will work super hard to help achieve the plan. However, I do understand how extremely important it is to strategically plan, and so I am grateful for the opportunity to have learned about this topic, even if it isn’t my favorite. I know that I will find the things I learned this week to be valuable to me in the future.