Reflective Journal- week 8

1. What did you actually learned from the unit. This week I learned that the IOM has made goals to improve the future of nursing. I had never heard of these goals before, which I find slightly unnerving, due to the fact that I am a nurse working in the field. You’d think that I would have heard of these before. I feel like if we want the goals to be achieved and if they really are important, then nurses throughout the country should be made aware of and frequently reminded of these goals and initiatives. I learned that important improvements for the future of nursing include promoting continuous learning and obtaining higher degrees of education for nurses, promoting diversity in nursing, promoting leadership in nursing and interdisciplinary roles.

2. Discuss your feelings/experiences from the team activities? Did it change your opinion on the subject? If so, how? If not, why? I feel like I actually learned a lot this week from the team discussion. Although I listened to all of the lectures and did understand them, they didn’t catch my attention much and not a whole lot of what was said really stuck. However, reading my teammates responses helped to solidify some of what I heard in the lectures. I liked hearing my teammates take on the subject. I would say that my opinions and thoughts did change as I read other responses. I understood the material in greater depth and began to appreciate and see the value in the goals and initiatives towards a bright future for nursing.

3. How you will utilize the information learned in your nursing practice. Reading and learning about the IOM goals will influence my nursing career because now that I am aware of the goals, I can make efforts to help move these goals forward. For example, the goal to nurses to have continuous education and higher degrees. Whether or not I will continue my formal education after getting my bachelor, I do not know, but I will for sure make a greater effort to be continuously learning as a nurse. I will seek out opportunities to attend classes, lectures, conferences, and other events that will allow me to stay up to date on most current practice and knowledge. I realize that this is so important to nursing and best care for out patients.

4. You personal feelings about the material covered. Honestly, this has probably been my least favorite subject for this class so far. The lectures were a bit dry for me, and long… very long. The title of this weeks module was Leaders as Educators/Future of Nursing. I was actually looking forward to learning about leaders as educators because I LOVE teaching as a nurse, it is one of my favorite parts of nursing and I am interested in potential positions in the future which involve more educating. However, I felt that this module actually only focused on the future of nursing as dictated by the IOM. Because of this, I was slightly disappointed with this lecture. I still see the value in the things that were discussed and taught and learned this week. I know that the future of nursing is extremely important, so that information was valuable, but it just wasn’t my favorite topic to study.