Reflective Journal- week 7

1. What did you actually learned from the unit. This week I learned that budgeting is tough! I do not look forward to that part of being a manager. I like to focus on doing my job, and doing it well, and using what I feel I need to do it well, without having to worry about the costs behind it all. It was definitely good though, to see an actual budget from a hospital unit and see everything that is on there. I was impressed with how very specific and itemized it is. I think it helps to have such a clear, itemized budget so you can see exactly where money is coming from and where it is going so that you can see where changes need to be made. I have never seen such an intense budget as the one we looked at this week, so it was really good for me to see that and learn more about budgets.

2. Discuss your feelings/experiences from the team activities? Did it change your opinion on the subject? If so, how? If not, why? I was glad to see that my teammates and I were mostly on the same page as to where budgets cuts needed to be made. Each of us listed slightly different things, but most of it was the same. We all agreed that cuts needed to be made with salaries. That was a hard one for us to accept. When you know a cut will affect individuals directly, that is hard to come to terms with. But in this scenario, it seemed obvious that we needed to make adjustments in that category. I don’t think my opinions necessarily changed by doing the team activity, but I do feel that I understood the budget and ideas on making cuts better after discussing with my team.

3. How you will utilize the information learned in your nursing practice. Learning how to read a big hospital budget like the one we looked at this week will definitely be valuable to my nursing career if/when I am ever in a management position where I have to deal with budgets. I had never seen a budget quite like that before, and exposure to it was super valuable. Now, I will be able to more easily look at a budget, understand what I am looking for, and recognize where the budget is off and where changes should be made. Another thing that I learned this week that will be very valuable to my nursing practice, is the importance of documentation when enacting discipline or firing an employee. I learned this from my interview this week and I will definitely use this in my future nursing practice when I am in a positions that requires me to enact discipline.

4. You personal feelings about the material covered. I did not particularly love having to think about and deal with budgets this week. However, I saw the value in it and do think it is extremely important to learn about budgeting as a nurse leader. It was really good for me to be exposed to this topic and begin to learn a little bit about it. I liked how the lectures this week went nice and slowly over different aspects of the budget. That was really good for me. When I first saw the pictures of the budgets, I was super overwhelmed. But after listening to the lectures, I was able to understand what I was looking at and the budget made sense to me.