Reflective Journal- week 6

1. What did you actually learned from the unit. One big thing I learned this week was that making ethical decisions in the healthcare world can be very difficult at times. Sometimes it is hard to know what choice is actually ethical. But, I learned that knowing the research on a given topic can really help guide you in knowing what is the most ethical choice. Another thing I learned this week was from the interview on performance appraisals. I learned that developing a good relationship with employees is extremely beneficial and will help performance appraisals and specifically correction during those appraisals go smoother.

2. Discuss your feelings/experiences from the team activities? Did it change your opinion on the subject? If so, how? If not, why? As usual, I really enjoyed the discussions. I liked hearing everyone’s ethical situations and thinking them through and thinking about what decision I would make in that scenario. I think that thinking through scenarios like these will help us be able to handle ethically difficult situations when they arise in our practice. I don’t think my mind was necessarily changed on any of the scenarios, but I do think that after hearing everyone else’s views, I did have a broader view of each situation and could see the pros and cons of each decision better.

3. How you will utilize the information learned in your nursing practice. I believe that thinking through so many different ethical topics will help me to think ethically when I am face with tough decisions in the future. Because of the information learned this week, I will also look to statistics and research when figuring out what is ethical and what is not. I think that knowledge is power, and if you understand and know a lot about a given situation and what the expected outcomes are, it will help you make better decisions for care. Another thing that I intend to do in my nursing practice, because of what I learned this week, is to always strive to have positive relationships and associations with coworkers, especially if and when I am in a management position. 

4. You personal feelings about the material covered. Ethical nursing practice is always an interesting topic to me. Sometimes I feel like decisions are so clear to make, but other times it is really tricky to know what to do, and still other times there really is not cut and dry right or wrong decision. I liked reading and thinking about different ethically difficult scenarios and thinking about what I would do and why I would do it. Overall, I enjoyed studying this topic this week.