Reflective Journal- Week 5

1. What did you actually learned from the unit.

This week I feel like I learned the most about dealing with problem employees and enacting disciplining. The lectures were very informative on the subjects. I learned that organizations typically have a discipline system set up with levels of discipline preset. I learned that one typical system many organizations use a level system with the first level of discipline being a verbal warning, the second is a written warning, third is a final second written warning, and then last would be termination. I also learned the importance of investigating the evidence and listening to the employee who is to be disciplined’s point of view. Before disciplining at all, you should be sure that there is actual cause for the discipline to take place.

I thought the discussions this week were pretty good. On the discussion about grading levels for performance appraisals, I had a teammate who gave much more detailed descriptions than I did. After reading her response, I decided that I liked the way she answered it better than I did. I was afraid to go into too much detail and make it too complicated, so I kept it simple. But she made bullet points out of it, and I thought that was a great way to give details to each level without making it too wordy or complicated. For the discussion about the greatest leader, my opinion did not really change. I still think the leader I chose is the greatest leader, but I also think that the people my teammates chose are also really great leaders. It is fun to hear everyone’s explanations of why they think their choice is the greatest because each person brings up different points. And as for the last discussion, I thought it was very interesting that we all pretty much had the exact same idea about disciplining (or not disciplining) the employee in this scenario. We really were on the same page. It was kind of neat to see all of us have the same opinion about it. I guess in some ways our minds think differently, but in same ways we really think the same.

The things I learned this week will definitely help me in the future when I may be in a management position where I have to make decisions about disciplining employees. Because of what I learned, I will be careful to get all the facts, and hear the employees viewpoint before taking any action. I will also be sure to keep everything documented and include HR whenever possible so as not to get myself in a tricky situation. I also think that I will take my own performance reviews more seriously now. I realize that you get out what effort you put in when it comes to performance reviews. If I want to improve as a nurse, I should take my reviews and evaluations and goal-setting seriously. Lastly, I think what I learned from my Modern Healthcare article this week is extremely valuable for my nursing practice. The article has really made me re-evaluate how I care for my patients and I intend to make a greater effort to learn their needs and listen to them. I will try harder to be a patient advocate, even if it means doing things differently than the norm or going against rules that don’t apply or that need to be modified.

4. You personal feelings about the material covered.

I thought this was a good week. I liked having multiple discussions going this week. It made it feel like I was communicating a lot more with my teammates. I feel like the topic of performance appraisals and problem employees was a good topic for me to learn about. These are not things that I have really taken much time to think about before, probably because I am not yet in a management position where I need to do these things. However, thinking about these things has helped me to formulate ideas and plans that I can implement when I am in a management position someday. I think it is really good to learn about and think about topics before you have to learn about them by necessity, that way you are better prepared for situations in the future.