Reflective Journal- Week 4

1. What did you actually learned from the unit.

This week I learned that it is extremely difficult to try to coordinate schedules between 5 different people who all work different shifts, have different family and personal obligations, and who are each individually really busy. That is honestly my big take away for the week! haha! But aside from that, I also learned a lot about working as a team and how many minds and many hands are better than one. It really does amaze me how much can be accomplished when you have multiple people working together. I also continued to learn this week about hiring. I learned that the hiring and interview process can vary quite a bit depending on the type of business and the style of the hiring manager. I learned that you can never underestimate the importance of hiring someone who will fit well with the team. One more random thing I learned…that I would never survive if I was stranded in the middle of the desert. I would try to go for help… and I would die.

Coordinating schedules for this weeks team activity was difficult. We have five team-members, and we each have very different schedules. Some work days, some work nights, some have a lot of family responsibilities that tie up their time, and one was leaving out of town half-way through the week. Needless to say, we did the best we could to come together for our team assignment, and I think we did a pretty good job at being patient, and compromising, and using all of our resources and time to work efficiently as a team. Some of the specific team building activities helped me to think differently and learn more. For example, I really enjoyed the activity where we had to rate supplies from most to least important if we were stranded in a desert. I learned a lot from my team on this one. Some of my initial thoughts totally changed after talking to my teammates and hearing uses of different items that I had not thought of. I really hope I never get stranded alone on a desert, or anywhere for that matter, by myself! I also enjoyed getting to know my teammates a little more. I think it will make it easier to work together for the rest of the semester now that we have spent some quality time working together and getting to know each other.

First of all, the information I gained from my hiring interview is invaluable. I will definitely be incorporating some of the things I learned there into my nursing practice, especially whenever I am in a position to hire people myself. I intend to use the ideas of helping people be comfortable during interviews, and focusing on a person’s personality and whether or not they will mesh well with the rest of the team. I also think that this week’s team activity helped me remember the importance of good team work, and that many minds are better than one. I can use this in my nursing practice to focus on building stronger relationships with my team members and the interdisciplinary team too. I will also be quicker to consult with my peers when I have a problem so that I can get their input in helping me solve the issue. 

4. You personal feelings about the material covered.

It was a good week. I really liked the interview and found it very helpful and worth my time. I enjoyed getting to know my team members during the team building activities. I am glad that this assignment was given early in the semester because I think that it will help us work better as a team for the rest of the semester. I do, however, wish that the team activity wouldn’t have been so hard to coordinate. Maybe in the future, students could be encouraged to find a block or time, or split the chunk of time into fragments (like one hour a day over three days), or even be encouraged to use google docs or other group online resources to accomplish the team building activities over a more lenient timeline.